FOR SCHOOL & STUDENT NEWS AND OTHER HAPPENINGS:
KREWE OF KATY BALL DE L’CORONATION
PHOTOS – MICHELLE ANDERSON
Laissez les bons temps rouler! Mardi Gras is very much alive and well in Katy, y’all! The Krewe of Katy and its entertaining Royal Court celebrated the Coronation of King Gabriel and Queen Evangeline XXII at its annual ceremony and ball on Feb. 18 at Safari Ranch. Entertainment, live music, Mardi Gras beads and a busy dance floor were aplenty at this event… if laughter, new friendships and good, clean fun is your kind of party, be sure to check out this Louisiana “krewe!”
1) Carol Huffman as Queen Evangeline XXII and Brian Sullivan as King Gabriel XXII
2) (L-R): Donna Johnson, Jeff and Pam Sonnier
3) (Back row, L-R): Zak Soch, Jennifer and Ed Haar; (Front row, L-R): Rebecca Haar, Daniel Ellison, Mary Haar. PHOTO- Michelle Anderson
4) The Krewe of Katy Royal Court (back row, L-R): Russell Poppe (as “President Trump”) Pam Sokoll (as “Hillary Clinton”), Juan Medrano and Heather Dwyer (as country music performers), Carol Huffman and Brian Sullivan (as the 2017 Queen & King), Brooke Paterra and Brent Broussard (as rock ‘n roll stars), Kathy Wiesner and Todd Bergeron (as “Kiss” heavy rock performers). (Front row, L-R): Taylor Stringer (as “Vanilla Ice”), Amiee Harrington, Julie Wilson (as Disney’s “Elsa”) and Anthony Gallegos.
5) (L-R): Patty, Roy and Heather Jacobs
6) Co-Presidents, Mark and Judy Blanchard
7) Pageantry Co-Chairs, Joe and Megan Blanchard
8) Kyle and Yvette Guidry
9) Janine Hildebrand and Kirk Bailey
10) (L-R): Pam Sonnier and Lynn Punch
11) Paul and Angela Goeke
12) Katy City Councilman Durran Dowdle and his wife, Terri Dowdle.
13) Jackie and Baron Lopez
KATY AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
The theme “A Tribute to Katy” could not have been more perfect as the who’s who of Katy were celebrated and honored at this year’s Katy Area Chamber Gala. Ladies sparkled in glamorous attire and gentlemen looked their handsome best while shopping the silent auction and taking photos in front of the famous Safari Texas Ballroom winding staircase! Live entertainment and music filled the air while guests enjoyed a seated dinner. The best part of the night spotlighted awards given to the Volunteer of the Year, Citizen of the Year, Business of the Year and the first annual Stan & Patsy Stanley Entrepreneur Award. Congratulations on a wonderful event!
1) The 2017 Chamber Gala Committee. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
2) Katy Area Chamber of Commerce President & CEO Ann Hodge, with her husband, Bob. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
3) (L-R): Michelle Reynolds, Patsy Stanley and Rhonda Epper. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
4) Katy ISD Superintendent Dr. Lance Hindt with his wife, Kathy Hindt, and Michelle and Rob Anderson. PHOTO – Michelle Anderson
5) Nancy and Frank Lombard. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
6) The amazing saxophonist! Guests were not only impressed by her musical talent but also her “blinged out” instrument – almost completely covered in Swarovski crystals! PHOTO – Michelle Anderson
7) Waller County Judge Trey Duhon. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
8) Former State Rep. Bill Callegari with his wife, Ann. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
9) Toby and Nicole LeBoeuf. PHOTO – Michelle Anderson
10) (L-R): Bob and Chaille Voelkel with Amy and Austin Richards. Chaille was this year’s Volunteer of the Year recipient. PHOTO – Michelle Anderson
11) (L-R): April Muller and Cassie Champagne from Arthur Murray Dance Center in Katy performed several ballroom dancing numbers for the guests as part of the evening entertainment. PHOTO – Michelle Anderson
12) 2017 Katy Chamber Gala Honorees (l-r): Peter McElwain for Citizen of the Year; Chaille Voelkel for Volunteer of the Year; Rover Oaks Pet Resort (represented by General Manager, Joy Lee) for Business of the Year and Greg Henry (XPerNet Services) for the Stan & Patsy Stanley Entrepreneur Award . PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
13) (L-R): Johnny and Carol Bonaccorso with Kavin and Downy Vickery. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
14) Sam Schultze and Ida Franklin. PHOTO – Michelle Anderson
15) (L-R): Sylvia and State Rep. John Zerwas, M.D. with Melinda and Glenn Beckendorff. PHOTO – Michelle Anderson
16) (L-R): Bonnie Holland; KISD Board of Trustee President Rebecca Fox; Patsy Stanley; KISD Board of Trustee Henry Dibrell. PHOTO – Michelle Anderson
17) Cindy and Katy City Council member Steve Pierson. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
18) Bob and Chaille Voelkel with their children, Kolby Voelkel and Kelsey Hilbert. PHOTO – Michelle Anderson
19) (L-R): Carol Adams, Walt and Joyce Sass and Hill Adams. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
20) Katy Police Dept. Chief Bill Hastings, and Susan Hastings. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
21) Cassie and Tom Richter. PHOTO – Katy Area Chamber of Commerce
PHOTOS – MICHELLE ANDERSON
Each year, as we wind up in anticipation of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, one event brings out the foodies from across the area. Rodeo Uncorked gives local restaurants and wineries the opportunity to give their best in food samples or wine tastings to attendees… who happen to all be dressed in their rodeo best! Guests are given “voting chips” to vote for their favorite vendors and winners are announced throughout the night. Arrive with an appetite because you will not be disappointed!
1) (L-R): Andy and Melissa Wiginton with Michelle and Rob Anderson
2) Owners of Ooh La La Dessert Boutique, Vanessa and Michael O’Donnell, worked diligently on perfecting their dessert sampling – gooey, warm bread pudding served with a piping hot caramel-sauce topping. It was delicious! Ooh La La is located on 23920 Westheimer Parkway – but, sweet-tooth buyer beware…they also have a drive-thru!
3) The Original Marini’s Empanada House served your choice of two savory empanada options… both fabulous! They are located at 3522 S. Mason Rd. near Westheimer Pkwy.
4) Did you know Peli Peli Kitchen is coming to Katy? This South African-inspired restaurant opens late April in La Centerra – I can’t wait to enjoy Peli Peli in our own backyard! (L-R): Michael Ly; Partner & CMO, Thomas Nguyen; Jessica Zednick; Melissa Tseng; Adrienne Macias.
5) La Finca Mexican Restaurant also served up a great sampling at this event – they have locations in both Katy and Fulshear.
KICKIN’ IT UP AT THE BOOTS & BADGES GALA
PHOTOS – MICHELLE ANDERSON
Behind the Badges Charities of Fort Bend County hosted its annual Boots and Badges Gala, raising money for grants given to first responders in our area who suffer financially due to sickness, injury or other unforeseen hardships. Academic scholarship money is also awarded to children of first responders. This year’s event was held at The George Ranch Historical Park on Feb. 11. Guests arrived in their “Texas best” and enjoyed music, dancing, silent and live auctions.
1) Fulshear Mayor Jeff Roberts and his wife Melissa Roberts; Michelle and Rob Anderson
2) Alexandra Bourgeois, Pct. 3 Constable Wayne Thompson, Christina Thompson, Chakilla White
3) The fallen heroes of the badge in Fort Bend County were beautifully displayed in a memorial area so they may never be forgotten for their sacrifice and service to our community.
FOR KATY NEWCOMER
PHOTOS – MICHELLE ANDERSON
As the Katy and Fulshear area continues to explode in growth, locals are sure to hold tight onto their Southern hospitality and “Texas charm.” This group of ladies didn’t miss out on the opportunity to welcome a new neighbor and friend, Melissa Morse, whose family recently re-located to our area. A fun-filled day in the city was planned to celebrate Melissa’s birthday. Ibiza Restaurant in downtown Houston was the top choice for lunch where the celebratory cotton candy dessert is big enough to feed a crowd! Welcome to Texas, Melissa!
1) Melissa Morse with her gigantic cotton candy… do you think she will share?
2) Jenny Dodson, Melissa Morse
3) Melinda Robinson with yours truly, Michelle Anderson
4) Jennifer Voskuhl and Kacy Wade
Socially Speaking with Michelle Anderson April 2017
Category: Socially Speaking, Michelle Anderson