Historically Katy
Katy Rotary Club

| February 1, 2018

In this February 1960 photo, Gordon Fussell accepting a check from Rotarian Fred Rylander.

In this February 1960 photo, Gordon Fussell accepting a check from Rotarian Fred Rylander.

Katy has a number of service organizations. One of the oldest is the Katy Rotary Club. The Rotary Club was founded in Chicago in February, 1905. In February 1946, the Katy Rotary Club was organized with about 40 members. Rotary is an organization of business and professional persons and for almost 70 years the Katy club has been contributing to the Katy community through the Rotary Club mission of providing humanitarian service, encouraging high ethical standards and helping build goodwill. The club still meets weekly and welcomes new members.

The Katy club is best known now for the annual Wild West Brew Fest held each May and September Katy Triathlon. This year’s event takes place Sept. 27. The events draw visitors from across the country and raise large sums for scholarships and other community projects. For many years the community looked forward to annual pancake supper fund raisers.

In the photograph above from 1960, Gordon Fussell is accepting a check for $323.65 from Rotarian Fred Rylander. The funds were used by the Dads Club to install lights at Katy’s Little League field. The photograph above from February 1960 documents the distribution from that event. Rylander, the guest speaker and an expert on snakes, surprised members when he brought a large rattlesnake to the meeting.

For many years the Fort Bend Steak House was the location for Rotary Club luncheon meetings. The people in this photograph from the early 1950s are not identified, but the ladies would have been guests. Rotary International did not allow women members until 1989.

The ladies in this 1950s photo were guests at the Rotary Club meeting, as women could not yet become members.

The ladies in this 1950s photo were guests at the Rotary Club meeting, as women could not yet become members.

Feb-2015-Photo-3

Opening in 1945, the Fort Bend Steak House was located near the south east corner of Danover Road and SH90

 

 

Carol Adams is the author of

HISTORIC KATY: An Illustrated History

sponsored-by-Artisan-Center-by-Carol-Adams

 


Tags:

Category: Katy Texas History

Comments are closed.