Historically Katy
Going to Market

| April 1, 2017

One of the first grocery stores in Katy was built on Second Street in 1903 by Guy Hubler.

One of the first grocery stores in Katy was built on Second Street in 1903 by Guy Hubler.

inside dube super market

A 1947 photo taken inside Dube’s Super Market, with Buster Newman at the meat counter.

Katy shoppers enjoy significant conveniences these days. Numerous retailers have moved into the area making it easy to find almost anything and grocery shopping has become an adventure.

Locals know where to find a vast supply of basic essentials, international foods, the fresh farm markets, the store where folks from all over the state visit to stock up on meat; we have everything from small independent markets to giant grocery super-stores.

It is something we take for granted but this convenience is relatively new. Folks who’ve lived in the Katy area for a while can easily recall when there were only a few options for grocery shopping. Even those few options would have seemed extravagant to our earliest settlers.

One of the first grocery stores in Katy was built on Second Street in 1903 by Guy Hubler. R. E. Hooker bought it in 1925. H. A. Hood and Carey Pitts bought in it 1930 and Pitts assumed full ownership in 1935. Pitts joined the Independent Grocers Alliance which allowed him to buy more products at lower prices. The store closed in 1945 and was removed for construction of Katy’s first Super Market.

Bill Dube worked in the Pitts Grocery store and opened Dube’s Super Market in 1947. It boasted 3,000 square feet, with 150 feet of grocery shelving and a 30-foot meat case. By comparison, today’s HEB Katy Market has 88,000 square feet and just one aisle is easily longer than 150 feet. The Dube’s building is now occupied by KT Antiques.

 

Carol Adams is the author of HISTORIC KATY: An Illustrated History

 

sponsored-by-Artisan-Center-by-Carol-Adams


Category: Katy Texas History

Comments are closed.

HRG