Historically Katy
Back to School

| September 1, 2017

The South Mayde School was located at FM529 and Katy Hockley Road.

The South Mayde School was located at FM529 and Katy Hockley Road.

The earliest Katy settlers knew a good education was important. Long before there was a Katy Independent School District families worked together to build one-room school houses, hire and board teachers and insure their children attended classes. The schools were hot in the summer and cold in the winter but were close to the homes of the students. Children enjoyed school because it took them away from the chores at home and there was a lot of time to play outside. In 1897 the Katy School was built near the corner of what is now George Bush Drive and Avenue A. The original building was 32-feet square and served all grade levels. When it was cold students would move the desks into a circle around a large stove that was in the center of the room and when enough students attended to require a second teacher, a curtain was hung to divide it into two classrooms. The building was destroyed by the storm in 1900 and was rebuilt to the original plans. Over the next few decades several buildings replaced the original school house at the same location. Students who attended the schools recalled that there was a place to tie up horses and that at lunch time they’d go out to feed and water their animals and venture into town to go to the drugstore for a soda.

The Katy School building was destroyed by the storm in 1900.

The Katy School building was destroyed by the storm in 1900.

Dishman

The Dishman School was located south of Katy, close to what is now Firethorne.

 

Carol Adams is the author of HISTORIC KATY: An Illustrated History

 

sponsored-by-Artisan-Center-by-Carol-Adams;


Category: Katy Texas History

Comments are closed.