KATY 2017 FFA RODEO PARADE JUDGES ANNOUNCED
Several Katy businessmen and women helped judge the Katy FFA Rodeo Parade on Feb. 21. Parade Judges included Anna Anew (2 years judging), managing partner, MBA CTP of CFO Strategic Results; Steve Behmer (host), retired; Newell Cheatheam (7 years judging), president/building designer of Newell’s Designs; and Frank Peterek (16 years judging), contractor at Boo Boo Holdings, LLC.
NATIONAL CHARITY LEAGUE LADY BIRD CHAPTER, CAMP HOPE EVENT BENEFITS VETERANS
Mothers and daughters from the National Charity League, Inc., Lady Bird Chapter (NCL, Inc.) of Katy met with nine other chapters in their district for Ticktocker Day, an annual philanthropic initiative that supports a military philanthropy. This year’s event benefited Camp Hope which is a residential treatment facility of veterans who are suffering from PTSD. The Lady Birds worked with other NCL chapters to make over 200 blankets which were donated to the veterans living at Camp Hope. They also had the opportunity to hear several veterans share about their experiences serving in combat, their struggles with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and the help they have received at Camp Hope. The NCL chapters also presented Camp Hope with a total donation of $1,728 and over 300 canned goods to stock the Food Pantry of another philanthropy partner, Houston Northwest Community Center.
NCL, Inc., Lady Bird Chapter currently has 275 members and provides hands-on volunteer service for 22 philanthropic organizations in the community. Members are women and their daughters in grades 7-12. Through this community service, NCL, Inc. develops socially responsible community leaders and strengthens the mother-daughter relationship. The traditional six-year core program also includes leadership development and cultural activities. Mother-daughter teams nationwide are responsible, dedicated, skilled volunteers actively engaged in local community work in 26 states across the country. To date, there are over 200 chapters. For more information, visit ladybird.nationalcharityleague.org.
MEET EDWIN, THE WORLD’S FIRST SMART DUCK
The rubby ducky of yesterday has gotten a major technological upgrade. Edwin the Duck is an award-winning, app-connected smart toy who is both fun and educational for kids and helpful to parents. Edwin can do it all – he can lead kids through an animated world of stories, games and songs; soothe children to sleep with his night light and lullaby; and even act as a waterproof swimming buddy during bath time.
Edwin has these great features:
- Night Light: Bring your little one comfort with his built-in Night Light and Sleepy Time app. Set the light intensity or adjust the timer from another room using a mobile device. Edwin can illuminate a dark room for parents, too.
- Thermometer: Toss Edwin in the bath tub and ensure your baby’s bath water is never too hot using Edwin’s Bath Time App. Enable disco mode to engage your child during wash time.
- Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker: Play your favorite songs from your device or use Edwin’s seven bedtime sounds. Once enabled, your phone can travel out of bluetooth range!
- Interactive Stories: Tap, tilt, and toss Edwin to help him solve puzzles, play games and sing-along with your favorite songs in free apps available for Apple and Android devices.
- Hands-On Learning Games: Play games and solve puzzles without ever touching the screen. Edwin combines learning and game-play in an all new way using technology that allows Edwin to control movements in the app.
- Sing-Along Songs: Edwin’s built-in speaker allows him to make sounds during game-play and sing-a-long with original animated Edwin songs.
Edwin is a lovable sidekick for parents of preschoolers, toddlers, and newborns. The toy is the 2016 National Parenting Product and the 2016 Kids at Play award winner. For more information, visit edwintheduck.com.
Category: Around Katy